Saturday, May 28, 2011

Snow in Africa?!


It's been a long time since I've updated, I know. Let me just give you a short list of things that I'm doing job-wise so you don't think all I'm doing is vacationing and chilling:


Buhlebamangwe Primary

Establishing a library

Co-teaching English (Grades 6-8)

Organizing school management

Creating a educator resource center

Running an after school debate club


Mampunga Primary

Prepping the school to receive 25 *new* computers in June

Organizing and moving school management into a new building

Implementing a school-wide discipline policy

Co-teaching English (Grades 7-9)

Teaching computer literacy to staff members


Secondary Projects

Co-teaching Maths (Grades 11-12) at Siyanda Secondary School

Tutoring after school every day

Bringing a Medical Male Circumcision campaign to the community to promote HIV/Aids prevention

Working with the "Beekeeping for Poverty Relief Programme" to assess the feasibility of introducing apiculture to my area


Since the beginning of May-ish, South Africa has gotten considerably colder. I wouldn't be able to tell you the exact temperature at my site (a thermometer is on its way), but it's been cold enough where the simple act of getting out from under my covers in the morning takes a tremendous amount of courage. When I was in Pretoria at the beginning of May, I purchased a heavier jacket and a few sweaters per the recommendation of some of the PCVs who share my shopping town. If I hadn't, I would be shit out of luck right now. Since my site is basically situated on top of this mountain, some of my educators have mentioned that it might even snow this winter. Now that would be over the top - Snow. In Africa?!?! We'll see.


Another side effect of the approaching winter is shortened days. Back in the States I never really noticed when the days ended. Here, I am extremely dependent on the cycles of the sun. The first thing I do when I wake up is open the blinds so that the sun can warm my house. As soon as the sun sets (about 5:30 now), I scramble to make dinner and jump in bed before it gets too cold. I try to spend as much time during the day outside of my house in order to keep warm. Since I have no insulation in my house, most of the heat I generate gets lost through my roof (read: it gets cold as balls inside my house). Looking back on the house and apartments I have lived in, I definitely took heating systems and insulation for granted. Don't feel sorry for me, though, because in all honesty I could purchase a heater. I've decided against it because I'm actually enjoying being cold. It's a first for me, especially since I was born and raised in Arizona. Don't worry, I'm loving it!


This idea of paying attention to my surroundings and adapting to the order of nature... is a phenomenon that I have been experiencing here in so many different ways. When it gets dark here, I notice it getting dark. When it gets cold, I notice it getting cold. I have felt physical pain in more interesting ways here than I can even begin to describe. I notice when someone is wearing a deodorant, perfume or cologne. I simply feel a heightened awareness of my senses; I feel more in touch with my surroundings. I think this is in part due to the fact that there is less here to focus on, where as in my hometown there wasn't a moment that you couldn't be doing something. I think the best way that I can describe it is that I was always living in the future and neglecting the present. Here it is much easier to focus on what is, not what is going to be.


Well that's all I've got for this entry. I've included some pictures of cool things I have seen and participated in over the past month. Enjoy!



A group of South African educators from Johannesburg visited our area to conduct a workshop, so afterwards I invited them to check out my rocking bachelor pad. Luckily it was mostly clean! Upon our next visit to the Joburg area, Katie, Christian and I are planning on delivering a presentation to the learners of their school about available gap-year opportunities South Africans have to serve in-country instead of overseas.


This is the backside of one of our houses. As the cement covering falls away, the mud bricks are revealed.


Since it is technically considered the tail-end of the Fall season now, my family just finished harvesting our corn fields. This is the container that we have placed all of the harvested corn in to dry before we can shuck it. The small structure to the upper left of the picture is our government installed drop toilet.


One of the "pumpkins" that is ripening in our corn fields.


Nope, those aren't rock aphids or horseshoe crabs, those are cow patties baking on the walls of the cattle corral. My family burns these when they run out of firewood and dried aloe leaves.


A few of my learners doing small group work!


Learners love the camera. I hope they're not throwing up tsotsie (gang) signs...


This is Grade 6 - 48 learners in one small classroom. But we make do with what we have!


Some of the learners sun bathing.


We recently hosted a debate and sport competition with another school. We don't exactly have a proper soccer ground so we measure everything out and learners scoop lime (eco-friendly *smile*) onto the ground where the lines should be.


My school, Mampunga, is in the royal and baby blue uniforms and the other school, Amoibe, is in the green and gold uniforms. The entire Saturday was more fun than you can imagine!


This was the debate. The topic was "Voting is useless" and all of the learners did an amazing job presenting their sides in English (their second language) to the entire bodies of both schools and all of the educators!


Mampunga Grade 9 soccer team. My host brother played in this game.


Let the games begin... All 3 of our soccer teams won!


Coach Mabaso delivering the half-time talk.


Coach Makhanya congratulating the Grade 7 soccer team on their 3-1 win.


As you may or may not have noticed, only boys play soccer in my communities. Girls play netball, which is a modified version of basketball, more culturally suited to South Africans.


This is a picture of both netball teams that we had. They played extremely well!


The competition started early in the morning and didn't finish until the sun was nearly set, so our school cooked for everyone who attended. These are our wonderful school cooks! My host mother is the lady on the left.


This was the big event of the community for the weekend, so I invited Angie, Christian and Katie to participate in the festivities. Angie and Christian (pictured) showed up in time to see the games but Katie showed up in time only for dinner. What perfect timing?!


One of my educators, Mrs. Magubane, teaching.


This is the picture of the learners talking about building construction materials while standing next to our brand new rammed-earth building. Super exciting!


After they talked about construction materials and environmental issues, they decided they wanted to try to fill some eroded areas around the school.


Nothing like getting down and dirty while at school!


Well that's all I have for this month, next month should be interesting and I'll keep everyone abreast of my latest adventures.


Sebenzisa amehlo akho bese uzozibona izinto zonke!

-Mvelo Sigubudu


If you use your eyes, you can truly see the world!

-Chad Wolver