Sunday, April 17, 2011

Africa in the Raw: Taxi Ranks

I have been thinking about this entry for almost a month now, so I'm super excited to finally be writing this entry. Today I want to explain to you how I get around South Africa because I think it's safe to say that the craziest situations that I have experienced have somehow centered around South African public transportation. Before I give you my perspective, however, I want you to read what my Lonely Planet - South Africa, Lesotho & Swaziland guidebook has to say about South Africa's Minibus Taxis:


"Minibus taxis run almost everywhere within cities, to the suburbs and to neighboring towns. They leave when full and happily - especially if you've traveled elsewhere in sub-Saharan Africa - 'full' in South Africa isn't as full as it is in many neighboring countries. Most accommodate 14 to 16 people, with the slightly larger 'Sprinters' taking about 20.


"Minibus taxis have the advantages of an extensive route network and cheap prices. These are outweighed, however, by the fact that driving standards and vehicle conditions often leave a lot to be desired, and there are many accidents. The reputations of minibus taxis has also been tarnished by isolated outbreaks of gangster-style shoot-outs between the various companies competing for business including incidents where crowded taxis were machined-gunned. Although things have settled down in recent years, minibuses in some areas and on some routes are still considered highly unsafe, and reports of muggings and other incidents remain a regular feature…"


Wikipedia's article about South African minibus taxis is even more frightening to read. But they're the cheapest way to get around and (in many instances) the only way that Peace Corps allows me to travel. Realistically, I have little fear of taking the minibus taxis. My rationale? I know for certain that hundreds of thousands of people ride these minibus taxis everyday without incident and that's the mentality that propels me time and time again to ride them. Besides, as I mentioned at the beginning of this post, I have had some of the most interesting interactions with the raw of Africa in these taxis.


A picture of me at my shopping town's taxi rank. At any given time, I'd guess that approximately 100-150 taxis are waiting to fill up and depart to any number of local villages. Some taxi ranks - like the one at Johannesburg - are so large that people make a living by porting people from the incoming taxis to the correct departing taxi of their choice. These ranks have 1000s of taxis taking South Africans all over the place every day. And, yes, I am wearing American Flag shades - deal with it.


This is a picture of my shopping town's second taxi rank - dubbed the "international terminal" by PCV Christian because you would go to this rank if you wanted to go to another township or city. This is a marginally less busy and nicer taxi rank. Notice the canopy - each corridor underneath has a different destination.


Taxi ranks are chaotic scenes - Gogos (grandmothers) bustling about with all manner of ridiculous and heavy things balanced effortlessly on their heads, goats roaming carelessly about snacking on banana peels, drunkards literally hanging on women who are furiously ignoring their slurred speech, innumerable vendors speeding from taxi to taxi hawking any last-minute item you could want from a random assortment of foodstuffs to gargantuan bundles of steel wool and reckless taxis attempting to reverse in every-which direction amidst an unrelenting and rapid influx of even more taxis. They are very... hostile environments, even if you understand and are able to communicate in the local language. Even if you are a local, ranks present a range of obstacles. I have had to aggressively push away drunkards who were attempting to molest visiting female PCVs, I've yelled at men who wouldn't leave me alone in the rank and I've had to ignore more threatening and racist remarks than I ever thought I would encounter. Some volunteers have even been mugged at taxi ranks - thankfully I have not have experienced anything that I couldn't handle so far.


Entering and waiting at the taxi rank is only the beginning, though. In order to actually get to your destination, you have to find where you need to stand to catch the proper taxi, wait for one to arrive and then actually board the taxi. Now if there is one thing that I've learned for certain, it is that South Africans only rush to do 2 things: leave school and board taxis. When South Africans recognize a minibus taxi driver they snatch up as much of whatever they just bought with startling speed, sprint to the incoming taxi, throw the sliding side door open (sometimes before the taxi has even stopped in its designated space) and use a combination of pushing shoving and weaseling their way inside to get a seat. I have literally been thrown to the ground by a 300-pound Gogo because she wanted the seat that I was eyeing - lesson learned: don't mess with Gogos. After everyone has successfully claimed a seat and all of the passengers' goods are situated in every nook, cranny, lap, space under the seat, trunk, roof, available pair of hands and dashboard, the overstuffed taxi is finally ready to depart. Trust me, you don't know what the phases 'uncomfortable,' 'maximum number of passengers,' 'cramped' or 'full' actually mean until you've ridden in a minibus taxi with anywhere from 15-30 other people. It's CrAzY!!


Although I have lived here for a little more than 9 months, I still regularly employ the help of others at the taxi rank. Despite enduring all of the stress associated with getting from place to place, I often find that South Africans are willing to go above and beyond to help me get to the next taxi, determine what seat I should sit in depending on the amount of stuff I'm carrying or get away from a drunk creeper at the taxi rank. The people here watch out for each other. I've always heard that South African PCVs who return to the States always miss the warmness of the people; I honestly don't know how I would survive in this country without the continual support of random strangers. I can already see that the attitudes and behaviors of many South Africans that I have interacted with has affected how I want to interact with others when I return to the States. I'm definitely not ready to come home, that I am sure!


Okay so I think I've exhausted my discussion of my transport situation, but I wanted to include some more pictures of things I've been busy with since the last time I posted...


Christian and my little brother, uMlondi. The best part about this picture is that Christian hates kids haha...

Tim (who is in my sleeping back acting like an otter) and Liz are 2 PCVs who I went with on my backing trip along the Wild Coast. They visited me at my site a few weeks ago. They, unfortunately, have since resigned from the Peace Corps but I wish them well back State-side!!

The next few pictures are from one of my school Admin Clerk's Christian-style wedding that I attended approximately 4-hours away from my site. I would also like to note that I left my house at 6:00am and did not return until 11:30pm that same day AND I was in a suit & tie the entire time. No bueno but it was worth the fun…


Ms. Zuma (about to be Mrs. yay!) and groom! It's such a beautiful wedding!

This wasn't a traditional Zulu wedding but it was beautiful nonetheless. I was happy that I was invited!

Sooo many people present for this union.

My colleagues at Mampunga Combined Primary School dancing, hooting and fist-pumping! It was so much fun.

Mrs. Zuma issuing her speech (it was all in very fast IsiZulu so I didn't understand much of it haha).


After the wedding at the church, everyone migrated to the Groom's house where we celebrated and ate again. There is also a Zulu tradition that happens after the ceremony where in order for everyone to get into the property, the crowd has to collectively amass a set amount of money to pay the newlyweds. Small price to pay for a day's worth of food!

The Groom's house and all of the guests.

Please note that it is definitely nighttime and we are still at the wedding. (left to right) Mrs. Mazibuko, Ma Sigubudu, Ma'am Shabangu and Mrs. Mthembu are all having a great time and eating traditional Zulu steamed bread called ujeqe. The lady with the basin on her head is one of my host mothers and the one in the middle is one of my principals that I work with! They're all such characters.

This second section group of pictures is from the recent PEPFAR-funded Peace Corps conference I attended, called the Health Symposium. I also attended my first Peace Corps Life Skills Training following the Health Symposium. In addition to PCVs attending, community-based counterparts were invited to participate as well...

The large conference room. There were over 160 PCVs and counterparts present.

Some of our sessions were led by the Center for Disease Control & Prevention, while others were led by South African NGOs, counterparts and PCVs. The Health Symposium and LST were extremely informative and well constructed! This picture is of PCV Mark Sloan mediating a discussion during the Life Skills Training.

Since internet is so expensive for PCVs, most of us bring our computers to download a variety of things from the free Internet that the hotel provides...

My Program Associate Peace Corps Director (APCD), Lydia Webber, and I at the Health Symposium.

Tea break!

I bought this from another PCV. She helps run a Gogo beading club to provide additional income support for families in her village while raising awareness for HIV/AIDS in the community.

Let me introduce Snegugu "Nonjabulo" Mtlane. She was my amazing IsiZulu teacher during my Pre-Service Training. She is an amazingly strong woman, definitely someone whom I look up to here in South Africa.

The hotel had these ugly dogs running around the grounds so Dave had to get a picture with one of them. This one has its own Facebook profile... Shame.

James Cramer, his Counterpart and I at dinner.

Mark Sloan & I smiling wide.

Tidimatso and I getting dessert. Tidimatso was my partner for most of the activities and small group work we had to do during the Life Skills Training.

Mr. Zulu and me! Mr. Zulu is one of the educators at the High School that all the learners from my village attend.

Some of my best friends and fellow PCVs, Tony & Stacey Fralliccardi.

Jesse and I staring down the camera.

Katie & Zach (both of these katz went with me on the backpacking trip to Lesotho this past December) giving the camera zombie faces.

Peach, Angie, Emily and me at the BYOH party. You could bring anything that started with the letter H, which is why I'm wearing headphones and a halo. Boomski!