Thursday, June 23, 2011

Top 10 List: Being White in Black South Africa


Okay so I'm not going to lie, I sorta stole this idea from a fellow Peace Corps volunteer. He updates a hilarious blog called The Cool Side of the Pillow, which I would highly recommend that you check out if you have the time. Anyways, here's my top 10 list of being white in black South Africa:


1. No matter what type of illness you have, you have the flu.
2. You're not hard unless you listen to Rihanna, Fergie and Lady Gaga.
3. As a male who is over the age of 16, you are a social pariah if you do any of the following: wear shorts in any situation, fetch your own water, cook for yourself or wash your own clothes.
4. If you do not spend at least 8 hours per day outside in the blazing hot sun, there is something wrong with you.
5. All white people look alike (see #6).
6. Apparently I look like John Cena (see #7).
7. Despite what you think you know or what you actually know, WWE Wrestling is real.
8. "Can I borrow a pencil?," is always delivered as such: "Can you borrow me a pencil?"
9. You forget common English words at an exponential rate over time and/or you begin to incorporate syntactically incorrect sentences as a part of your own vernacular.
10. You do not know/understand/write in English if you do not spell behaviour with an '-our,' programme with an '-mme,' or centre with an '-re.'

I'm going to be heading to Cape town this weekend so next month's blog entry will have some pretty amazing photos, for sure. Here are some pictures to wet your appetite until next time...



It was so cold one morning that I found this mosquito frozen still on my laptop case one morning. That's the only way that I was able to get the lens this close to him.



Cute calf that just stood there as we walked by. Ridiculously floppy ears.



Aloe plants. The Zulu people use these plants for so many different things.



Beautiful acacia tree.



All of the aloe plants are blooming right now. These ones are my favorite because it blooms with yellow blossoms at the bottom and slowly fades into a deep red at the top.



An blue-ish green aloe plant from a bird's eye view.



PCV Christian giving the double thumbs up at the Rorke's Drift Hotel.



PCV Angie and her 60 ZAR cocktail.



The mighty uMzinyathi (Buffalo) river.



PCVs Anna and Christian on the way back to Anna's pad.



Africa. Zululand. Aloes.