Monday, June 28, 2010

Peace Corps: < 2 Weeks



So less than 2 weeks (a mere 13 days) from today, I will be getting on a plane and heading to Philadelphia for Staging. Then, two days later, I will be boarding a plane to Johannesburg, South Africa!!!

When I get to Johannesberg, I'm going to be driven to Ndebele College of Education near Dennilton in Mpumalanga Province. I will be staying in a dormitory for a week then I will live with a host family until September 16, 2010. During this time period (the first 8 weeks) I will not have any internet access or a phone number at which you can reach me. I will be busy immersing myself in the South African culture, free of outside distractions. After that, I'm not sure what will be happening as far as where I'll be living. I guess I'll just wait to find out that answer until I get there! In the meantime, if you want to send me letters, you can use this address:

Chad Wolver, PCV
Peace Corps
P.O. Box 9536
Pretoria 0001
South Africa

To answer another popular question I have been asked of late, I am both electrified with excitement and brooding with fear. I am scared that I'll miss all my friends and family, won't like the lack of amenities, won't be able to learn the local language in order to fulfill my job and won't be accepted into my host community. I am scared to death for sure. BUT... I am so excited to finally be able to serve others in this amazing opportunity that my fears crushed with optimism.

If I miss my family and friends, I know they are only a phone call away (and I'll have pictures for sure). If I don't like the lack of amenities, I'll think of the time I went without showering for 30 days straight. If I'm struggling with learning the language, I'll devote even more time and energy to overcome this impediment. And if I'm not accepted into the host community, I'll just play Age of Empires III on my computer for the next few years (Just kidding haha!).

Seriously though, I am so excited to learn a new language, live outside of the United States and immerse myself in another culture. This new chapter in my life is becoming more and more real with every passing hour, and I cannot wait to start writing all about it!

Until I hear from you,

Chad Wolver