Friday, February 25, 2011

Village Orientation

So I finally got my camera (thanks mom!) and I'm able to actually take some quality pictures of my area and of the local wildlife. Most of the questions that I've received have been about my village and about my accomodations in the village. So... I've included some pictures that should kind of orient you to my schools and where I buy food sometimes and other stuff...


This is picture of me on top of the mountain behind my house. This is my village, the type of landscape in my area and my dog (Nomsebe).



This is my assorted goat organ birthday cake. It includes... stomach, intestines (both large and small), colon and the heart. Angie and crew thought that this would be an adequate way to wet my chops. Negative ghostrider.


The Indian Ocean with my feet. If you've never been, I hope this picture would stimulate what it felt like to be there.


BEACH!! Oh and I got over my fear of being eaten by sharks. Boomski.


Just a view of the drive down to Durban, KwaZulu Natal. So beautiful.


Mangeni Falls, which is near my site. This is our get-away spot.


Self explanatory?


This is a Shembist church. Shembism is a cross between traditional Zulu beliefs and Christianity. What a spectuacular place for a church, no?


Cool picture of a spider & sea shell I got from the Eastern Cape on my backpacking trip in December.


Nomsebe being adorable. Nomsebe means "rays of the sun" in IsiZulu.


Nomsebe chewing on a goat horn. Delicious!


Cool picture of a weather-beaten flower with some rondavels in the background.


This is my family's corn field. I have watched this corn grow from a tiny sprout to what it is today!


This is my far school, which is about 6km away. It has no electricity and houses about 350 learners.


This school is right accross the road from my house. They're in the process of building a new building!


This is my "tuck shop" or shop where I can buy bread, corn meal, coca cola and snacks of all sorts. This is also our local shabeen, which is a place where they illegally sell beer and the customers hang to consume their alcoholic products.


This is what you could call "town square" of my site. It is comprised of a few houses, a couple electrical poles, the tuck shop and one of my schools.


View from my plot. The grasses and the clouds are breathtaking!


And lastly, this is a final view of my village. It's small but beautiful!!